With the April 11th release of the 2019 Provincial Budget and the April 15th release of Proposed Regulatory Amendments to the Ontario Immigration Act, the Government of Ontario is planning to make several major changes to the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).
1. Creation of a Tech Stream for high-skilled tech workers:
- The Government of Ontario has plans to create a dedicated PNP stream to help Ontario’s technology sector attract high-skilled tech workers.
- The exact details regarding this new Tech Stream have not yet been released. We will provide updates once additional information becomes available.
2. Creation of a program for rural communities;
- The Government of Ontario has plans to begin a pilot initiative with select rural communities to attract highly skilled immigrants.
3. Changes to the Entrepreneur Stream:
- The Government of Ontario will be revising the eligibility requirements for investment and personal net worth thresholds to bring them in line with other jurisdictions.
4. Change to the In-Demand Skills Stream:
- The Government of Ontario will be adding three new occupations to the list of eligible occupations (NOC 7511 – Transport Truck Drivers, NOC 3413 – Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates, and NOC 4412 – Home support workers and related occupations, excluding housekeepers)
- The work experience requirement for applicants will be reduced from 12 months to 9 months
5. Elimination of the Corporate Stream:
- The Government of Ontario will be terminating the Corporate Stream
At Borders Law Firm, we will be closely following any changes made to the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program.