Government of Canada announces new policy to help former international students live in, work in and continue contributing to Canada. As part of the Government of Canada’s efforts to support international students through this challenging time, the Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, today announced that former international students who hold or held a PGWP will have the opportunity to apply for an open work permit. This new policy will help more graduates fill pressing needs in areas like health care, technology and more.
- To apply for an open work permit under the public policy, an applicant must
- Have a PGWP that expired on or after January 30, 2020, or a PGWP that expires in 4 months or less from the date they apply
- Present in Canada
- Have a valid temporary status, or be applying to restore their status
- Applications will be open from January 27 to July 27, 2021.
- Details on how to apply will be announced on January 27, 2021.Foreign nationals in Canada affected by the pandemic with an expired or expiring PGWP will have a unique chance to apply for another open work permit. These will be valid for 18 months and allow former international students to remain in Canada, continue to seek employment and build their future in this country.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com, if you have any questions about this program.